James Ryan Haywood (born December 6, 1980) is an American actor, voice actor, on-camera host/on-screen talent and content producer (for shows and podcasts), video game journalist, Twitch streamer, and Internet and YouTube personality originally from Columbus, Georgia. He is best known for his long-time extensive work at Rooster Teeth, co-starring in Rooster Teeth's gameplay division Achievement Hunter and, formerly, Rooster Teeth's entertainment-news division The Know. Ryan is a former member of the RT Animation dept, where he served as a machinima animator, VFX artist, technical director and animation editor for Red vs. Blue: Season 10 (these were responsibilities Ryan held shortly after he moved to Austin, Texas between late August/early September 2011 and was hired full-time at Rooster Teeth). Ryan also (formerly) co-hosted Rooster Teeth's gaming podcast Glitch Please (formerly The Patch), currently serves as a secondary recurring host the official Achievement Hunter podcast, Off Topic and served an occasional special guest on the RT Podcast and the Always Open podcast.
Haywood has worked extensively with Rooster Teeth, having also co-starred and appeared in several live action productions such as Rooster Teeth Shorts, Immersion, Million Dollars, But..., The Gauntlet, Ten and Eleven Little Roosters, and more. Ryan also provides voice acting for various Rooster Teeth animated shows and cartoons. He voices Professor Peter Port, a recurring secondary character in RWBY, Soldier #1, Marlowe and Caboose's Lieutenant John Elizabeth Andersmith in Red vs. Blue (RvB), Jethro in Nomad of Nowhere, The Mad King in X-Ray and Vav and animated versions of himself in Rooster Teeth Animated Adventures (RTAA). Ryan also guest voiced Agent Miller in the season 2 finale of Camp Camp.
After getting initially hired part-time by Geoff on June 14, 2011 via the discovery (and subsequent job application by Ryan, who lived in Corpus Christi about 3 hours from the RT office 636 at the time), Ryan was initially in charge of managing, overseeing and editing the videos and shows for the Game Fails Channel on YouTube as a part-time job as well as a contract host and behind the scenes tech/PC crew. Sometime between late August-early September 2011, Ryan was then hired full-time at Rooster Teeth (shortly after moving to Austin, Texas with his wife Laurie) where he would then serve was as a machinima animator, VFX artist, animation editor, and technical director for Red vs. Blue Season 10 before eventually changing departments to become more involved with Achievement Hunter (full-time-really) by late 2012/early 2013.
He began live streaming on Twitch April 30, 2016 at SortaMaliciousGaming while still working at Rooster Teeth and Achievement Hunter.
Early Life and Career
Ryan grew up primarily in the Columbus, Georgia area.
Originally while growing up in Georgia and before working at Achievement Hunter and Rooster Teeth, Ryan was initially working as a professional male model while in high school in Georgia as stated in Let's Play - 7 Days to Die Part 3. These photos were released during the Extra Life stream once $200,000 had been raised. Ryan claimed that he was in a magazine called Twist magazine. Along with the magazine Ryan also was in a runway show, where he was a gnome who stood on a mushroom. Ryan did this in between his job as a pool cleaner, and his job at Rooster Teeth. One of his model pictures showed Ryan in his late teens to early twenties as an early adult. His hair used to be much longer when he was a model. According to the Twist magazine stats, Ryan made Twist magazine quite popular during the time he worked there. His parents used his middle name (Ryan) more often than his first name (James) and hence he prefers being called Ryan which is his stage name.
Ryan worked as a professional male gnome model and pool cleaner, starring in Twist magazines while in high school . Some of Ryan's colleagues stated in their Sunday Drive "Let's Play" that Ryan graduated from Georgia Tech University and also went to college in Georgia Southern University. He later went to study abroad in England in Europe, getting degrees in Theater, Computer Science, Web Design and Computer Animation.
Whilst browsing Craigslist looking for job opportunities, Ryan found an open position in the Rooster Teeth Studios. He applied and got the job and started to work there and eventually moved there to Austin, Texas where he resides ever since. It wasn't until Episode 89 of the Minecraft Let's Play series where Ryan earned his title of Mad King. In general, after the infamous Episode 89, Ryan began to become one of the most influential gamers over the next few months and soon to be year. Ryan was about 33 years of age when the episode was launched to YouTube on February 7, 2014.
He moved to Corpus Christi, Texas where he met Geoff for employment at Rooster Teeth, later residing in Austin, Texas where he fully Rooster Teeth Production's subsidiary Achievement Hunter. Ryan joined them to run their website and to work on their new Game Fails YouTube channel, he was in charge of managing the Rooster Teeth website and their Game Fails Channel on YouTube. He would later tbe he technical director and animator for Red vs. Blue Season 10. As of April 2015, Ryan is one of the main hosts and dominant cast members at Achievement Hunter. His job at Rooster Teeth and Achievement Hunter consists of hanging out with the rest of the boys, playing games with them, starring in Lets Plays, and include ideas on what games they should play or what sequels to video game franchises should include. He was actually the third Achievement Hunter member host to be hired and promoted to main host after Geoff Ramsey and Jack Pattillo. In early 2011, Achievement Hunter hired Ryan as an editor, crew member and recurring host; Haywood later began being featured in videos as a main host in March 2012, becoming one of the main crew members. As for what Achievement Hunter video Ryan first appeared in, Ryan claims that the first video he made for Achievement Hunter (outside of Game Fails) was the NYC tour video, titled "A video game tour of NYC" uploaded to YouTube by Rooster Teeth on June 10, 2011. The first video where he spoke in was the Witcher 2 Achievement Guide, titled "The Witcher 2: Librarian Achievement Guide", also uploaded to YouTube by Rooster Teeth on June 16, 2011. And his first Lets Play with the other guys was Mari0, the video titled "Let's Play - Mari0 - With Geoff, Gavin, Michael, and Ryan", published on March 26, 2012, the day where Ryan was promoted to a main host. He was also in "Dear YouTube" by Rooster Teeth, but was still working as a Rooster Teeth animator.
Since then, he has started working full-time for Achievement Hunter and starred as the third main host member including Let's Play and VS. He became friends with other members of Rooster Teeth, such as Meg Turney. He competed against Ray Narvaez, Jr. in a Rooster Teeth sing-off on YouTube. Besides his work on Achievement Hunter, he is also the voice actor for Professor Peter Port in RWBY, Lieutenant John Elizabeth Andersmith in Red vs Blue and The Mad King on X-Ray and Vav. While working at AH/RT, he began streaming on Twitch since April 30, 2016 under the channel SortamaliciousGaming.
Ryan was born and raised in Columbus, Georgia. Although he originally preferred to keep his personal life out of common knowledge, over time he has slowly divulged more information through videos.
His wife, Dr. Laurie Higginbotham, works as a veterinarian and with her, has two children named Eli (born 2011) and Olivia (born October 2013) both of whom have appeared during his Twitch streams. He is also a pet owner with several dogs and cats.
Actor/Self (25 credits)
|2011–present||September 23, 2011 – present||RT Life (TV Series)||Ryan/Himself||Rooster Teeth Live action Web series|
|2012-2016||November 5, 2012 – August 20, 2017||Red vs. Blue||Soldier #1, Lieutenant, Smith, Marlowe (all voices)||Machinima-animated TV Web series||John Elizabeth "Smith" Andersmith: Since 2014
Marlowe: Season 14 episode Grey vs Gray
|2013-2016||May 22, 2013 – December 29, 2016||The Patch (Podcast)||Himself (main host)||Rooster Teeth and The Know's gaming podcast||Himself, with Ashley Jenkins, Burnie Burns, Gus Sorola and (until June 2016) Meg Turney|
|2013–present||September 12, 2013 – present||RWBY (TV Series)||Professor Port / Professor Peter Port / Peter Port (voice)||Rooster Teeth Anime-influenced styled TV Web series||15 episodes|
|2013||October 27, 2013||The Gauntlet (TV Mini-Series)||Himself||Rooster Teeth Live action competition show, TV Mini Web series||1 episode (The Sonic Relay)|
|2014–||June 1, 2014 –||The Know||Himself/Co-anchor||Official Rooster Teeth news channel division||Himself, with Ashley Jenkins, Jon Risinger, Gus Sorola, Funhaus Team and (until June 2016) Meg Turney|
|2014-2015||November 12, 2014 – April 19, 2015||Rooster Teeth Shorts (TV Series)||Ryan/Himself||Rooster Teeth live action webseries||- Stage 5 Facility Tour (2015) ... Ryan- Office Divorce (2015) ... Ryan
- Twelve Days of Rooster Teeth (2014) ... Ryan
|2014–present||November 13, 2014 – present||On the Spot (TV Series)||Himself / Himself - Team BBz||Rooster Teeth Live action Game Show, TV Web series||8 episodes|
|2014||November 5, 2014 - December 23, 2014||Ten Little Roosters (TV Mini-Series)||Ryan/Himself||Rooster Teeth Live action comedy murder mystery TV Mini Web series||8 episodes|
|2014-2015||December 4, 2014 – October 18, 2015||X-Ray and Vav (TV Series)||The Mad King (voice)||Rooster Teeth 2D Animated TV Web series|
|2015||September 14, 2015||Let's Play Live: The Documentary||Ryan Haywood
|Rooster Teeth Live action Documentary|
|2015||December 1, 2015||RWBY: Grimm Eclipse (Video Game)||Peter Port (voice)||Rooster Teeth video game|
|2015–present||December 13, 2015 – present||The Off Topic Podcast (TV Series)||Himself (co-host)||Official Achievement Hunter podcast||79 episodes|
|2016||February 7, 2016||Immersion (TV Series)||Himself||Rooster Teeth Live action TV Web series||1 episode (Space Invaders in Real Life)|
|2015-2016||August 27, 2015 – present||Million Dollars, But... (TV Series)||Ryan/Himself||Rooster Teeth Live action TV Web series||3 episodes
- Achievement Hunter Scandal Scandal - Achievement Hunter Animal Attack (2016) - Sudden Nudity & Permanent Parachutes (2015)
|2016–present||June 9, 2016 – present||Heroes & Halfwits (TV Series, aka Heroes and Halfwits)||Albus Cumberbatch (Himself)||Achievement Hunter Live action TV Web series gaming podcast||Himself, with Geoff Ramsey, Michael Jones, Gus Sorola, Griffon Ramsey and Frank|
|2016–present||July 30, 2016||RWBY Chibi (TV Series)||Peter Port (voice)|
|2016||December 1, 2016||Let's Play Uno: The Movie||Ryan/Himself||Achievement Hunter Live action Let's Play video||Himself, with Geoff, Jack, Gavin and Jeremy|
|2016-2017||October 26, 2016-MAy 10, 2017||Schooled (TV Series)||Ryan/Himself||Achievement Hunter Live action web series||- Hot Pepper Challenge (2017)- The Final Challenge (2017)
- Wall of Punishment (2017)
- Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner! (2017)
- I Guess I'm Ready? (2017)
- Know Thy Enemy (2017)
- We Punish Defeat (2017)
- Geoff's Fate is Decided (2016)
- Going Undercover (2016)
|2017||January 16, 2017 – March 6, 2017||The Eleven Little Roosters (TV Mini-Series)||Ryan Haywood/Himself||Rooster Teeth Live action comedy murder mystery TV mini Web series||5 episodes|
|2018–present||March 16, 2018 – present||Nomad of Nowhere (TV Series)||Jethro (voice)||Rooster Teeth 2D animated Western-fantasy web series|
Let's Play Minecraft
- He regularly appears in episodes of Let's Play Minecraft.
- He has won the Tower of Pimps eight times as of episode 79. He is currently on the biggest tower win streak of 4 in a row. His last victory has tied him with Ray and Jack for most tower wins.
- Geoff Ramsey has said that they would construct a house for him in Let's Play Minecraft#Achievement City Achievement City. He lived in Kung Fu House.
- Ryan is known for naming animals "Edgar."
- He only had two animals not named Edgar. His first pig was named Bacon Bits. The pig currently living in his house is named Prince Oinkens the First.
- Edgar was named such in Level 30 Enchant Part 1 when a cow in Ryan's house was briefly mentioned by Geoff.
- Ryan had a pet cow in his house named Edgar. It was freed by Michael and unknowingly slaughtered by Geoff for leather. This cow may or may not have been Edgar. As stated by Ryan, "Edgar is the one in the hole." Ryan now has Edgar back in his hole, in Kung Fu House.
- In Episode 65, Gavin murdered the Edgar in the hole and replaced it with a Mooshroom
- Ryan also has an emergency chicken named Edgar 3.
- Ryan is known for capturing animals in Minecraft. His RWBY character, Peter Port, has a similar quirk but with more noble intentions.
- He is actually the third Achievement Hunter to be hired, but served behind the scenes managing the Game Fails Channel.
- He is the first Achievement Hunter to become the Minecraft King more than once.
- The first video Ryan is mentioned in is "The Tour of NYC, through video games" uploaded in 2011, Geoff mentions that the video was made by "our behind-the-scenes guy Ryan"
- He once placed a buzzing machine inside of Gavin's desk just to annoy Gavin. At first the machine went off every 90 seconds, then it malfunctioned, and started buzzing every 20 seconds. He needed to cut a hole in the victim's desk for the prank to work and picked Gavin, whose desk was already damaged.
- His team names are:
- The R & R Connection with Ray Narvaez, Jr.
- Team Magnum Dong with Geoff Ramsey
- Team Same Voice with Jack Pattillo
- Team Love and Stuff with Gavin Free
- Team Crazy Mad with Michael Jones (a fusion of Ryan's Mad King persona and Michael's half of the Team Nice Dynamite namesake setup)
- Team Battle Buddies with Jeremy Dooley (resulted from Trouble in Terrorist Town Part 3's final round, Jeremy and Ryan the final two innocents left against Geoff)
- Team Same Desk with Lindsay Jones
- He is the one who runs any Let's Play which resides on the PC and often the one who's game of choice in Versus is a PC game. Coincidentally, Ryan has the most computer issues out of anyone in the office, much like how Gavin is the most frequent victim of Creepers in Minecraft.
- He sounds similar to Jack Pattillo, often confusing viewers as to who's talking.
- Ryan is a member of the Achievement Hunter Team on The Gauntlet. He often states his belief that Gavin is the weakest member on the team.
- Ryan openly admitted that he occasionally watches the Let's Plays and is unable to tell his and Jack's voice apart.
- In Versus Episode 52, Ryan is referred to by his real name James.
- As of Things to Do In GTA V: Achievement Knievel, Ryan is often mentioned as being still in the air. This resulted from the Things to Do, where his car went airborne after colliding with Jack, who had been flying an incoming jet, and Ryan remarked he was still in the air (which became one of his most famous lines) while Jack (and for some bizarre reason, Ray) were killed by explosions resulting from the collision (Jack's jet blew up on him and causing the buses Ryan and Team Lads were jumping to explode in a wave, somehow killing Ray in the vehicle in front).
- During Most Dangerous Game X this was extended to being either in the air or in a hole, the latter regarding Edgar.
- Ryan often has great success when competing against Michael. In Minecraft and GTA Ryan frequently bests Michael in fights which often leads to Michael complaining. Also Ryan has never lost to Michael in VS and currently has a 6 victories over him. Until Versus Episode 96, where Michael challenged Ryan to Angry Birds: GO!, where Michael scored his first victory against Ryan until the victory was reversed as it was later revealed that per the game rules Ryan was the one who won.
- Ryan is a huge Dragon Ball Z fan and attempted to use Dragon Ball Z Budokai HD remake to win an episode of GO! but was unsuccessful.
- Ryan is second highest in terms of Grand Theft Auto Online rank, at 170-plus as of the most recent video. As a result, he is the highest-ranked member of Team Gents, with a twenty-plus rank advantage over the next member; only Team Lads co-founder Michael is higher.
- Up to the latest heist in the GTA Heists series, Ryan is the only Achievement Hunter who has not remained alive until the end in a single heist (at least in Freemode).
- He had three chances to do so, but committed suicide after not getting Geoff's dropped cash after killing the heist leader, was shot by a faster-reacting Ray at the end of his heist, and a glitch caused him to die of a freak accident in Lindsay's.
- As seen in Let's Play Halo 4, he appears to be proficient in precision and long-range weapons. His level of talent is at a level to challenge, often considered the best long range shooter because of his considerable skill in many video game genres, for the first-place position, although not as good as Ray Narvaez, Jr.. Since Ray's departure Ryan is likely to have assumed the top spot, though Jeremy (who had taken Ray's desk after winning Blocking List) may be just as good.
- However, his skills with stealth are inconsistent, to say the least. As seen in multiple Let's Watch Hitman videos, two things would usually happen when Ryan is playing: either he would spend a long time running around and devising a complicated plan and would end up killing the target in a very simple way, or he would get spotted and would kill everyone who was hunting him.
- He is a fan of old-school games.
- He is regarded as the PC Gaming Expert of Achievement Hunter.
- Gmod Let's Plays have since been taken over by Jeremy, but otherwise Ryan is still mainly the PC Guy.
- He has been known as the VR guy as he is one of the founders of VR The Champions
- In Battle Buddies - Aim for His Ball, Ryan got the target testicle shot on Hitler, hitting him on the run. During the previous Sniper Elite 4 video his own testicles were the victim of the longest shot, by Geoff.
- In Let's Play League, Ryan hit one of Team Achievement Hunter's two home runs, a second inning solo shot that drew first blood. (AH would lose the game, with their only runs coming from Ryan's and a then-tying solo shot from Matt to open the third).
- Ryan is one of Achievement Hunter's top zombie killers, alongside Jeremy and Michael. (Jack prefers building over fighting, Geoff doesn't do much, and Gavin is the usual comedy of errors).
- Ryan is known sometimes as "Ryan the Gotta Be Somewhere Guy", for a combination of Edgar and him being "still in the air".
- Some of Ryan's Steam names are usually him attempting to be a genuinely friendly guy in games about killing the others (specifically Gmod games Trouble in Terrorist Town and Murder). Most famous of these is 'FriendlyNonMurderingSort', which lasted up to the First Day of 7 Days of 7 Days to Die (where he said he "really should change that").
- Another memorable Gmod name, from Rouletsplay Murder, was "Don't Fear the Ryan", a pun on Blue Oyster Cult's signature song "Don't Fear the Reaper".
- Lately his main Steam name is 'Detective Roger Davis', whose shtick is solely saying the name.
- Nintendo Let's Plays involving motion controls seems to be his Achilles heel, despite winning Kung Foot in Versus and outscoring Michael in the Flower Cup of the Mario Kart 8 videos despite major turning issues.
- If Ryan falls behind in a mini-golf game, he'll abandon the normal objective of golf and instead aim at the others to screw them over. Geoff seems to be Ryan's favorite target.
- He usually calls his hits out by yelling 'Bip!' or something similar.
- His (temporary) desk in the Achievement Hunter 636 office, whenever he would film AH videos and AH Let'sPlays was mostly the couch with a couple of small folding tables and chairs, a microphone, an Xbox and controller, a small laptop, and mouse.
- Ryan's "official" desk, back in #636, was elsewhere in the #636 building (because the AH main cast room was so small and cramped at the time) in the animation studio with green screen sets. Ryan was seen editing Achievement Hunter content (and Red vs. Blue) content with Lindsay (an AH editor) and the RT animators as seen all throughout 2013. When AH moved from 636 into Stage 5 in April 2014, he finally got an official "desk" with the others, although he still wasn't seen in AHWU. The evolution of his desk can be found here.
- Ryan is known by his middle name, as opposed to his first name: James. He stated that his parents always used his middle name rather than his first, and he continued to do so.
- He created a Twitter account (@RyanTheTwit) when the 2013 Extra Life donation amount for Rooster Teeth reached $90k. Within 15 days Ryan had reached 50,399 followers and had 10,000 followers within the first 30 seconds.
- Before Rooster Teeth, Ryan worked as a professional model, as stated in Let's Play - 7 Days to Die Part 3. These photos were released during the Extra Life stream once $200,000 had been raised.
- According to Free Play: The Newlywed Game - #30, Ryan('s):
- Wanted to be an astronaut when he was younger.
- Favorite color is blue.
- Wants to travel to Japan (and has now done so)
- Favorite video game of all time is Wing Commander Privateer.
- Biggest pet peeve is being out of Diet Coke.
- Biggest fear is losing a child or being paralyzed.
- Didn't have a childhood nickname.
- He has a reputation of having a dark side due to his GTA character and his knowledge.
- He has thrown a knife and stuck it to a wall to prove a point.
- The alias The Mad King is often the identity of this dark side. An identically named character in X-Ray and Vav (voiced by Ryan) fits this aspect excellently (with an outfit akin to his Minecraft skin).
- His favorite drink is Diet Coke, he is seen drinking it regularly while on camera.
- ↑ https://www.reddit.com/r/roosterteeth/comments/7tiyu2/can_we_recognize_that_ryan_seriously_used_to_play/
- ↑ https://www.reddit.com/r/roosterteeth/comments/7tiyu2/can_we_recognize_that_ryan_seriously_used_to_play/
A former Rooster Teeth channel, a predecessor of Inside Gaming.